Google MyBusiness listings appear at the top of search results. They’re a combination of Google Maps and Google+. Results are based primarily on relevance, distance and prominence.
Time: 1 hour
- Relevance – how well a local listing matches what someone is searching for.
- Distance – how far the listing is from the user or term used in a search.
- Prominence – how well known the business is based on links, articles and reviews.
Create or find your existing MyBusiness profile at google.com/mybusiness/
Add your real address.
- To display your search area instead of a residential address, indicate “I deliver goods and services to my customers at their location.” See google.com/business/answer/3038163?p=service_area.
- Not a local business? See google.com/pages/create?service=plus.
- If you have multiple studios (not common): com/local/manage/.
Complete your profile 100%.
Upload at least a dozen photos. Example: google.com/maps/views/profile/113322748481289570107
Upload a video or add one later to set you off from the competition!
Build positive reviews over time by sending your Google+ About page (plus.google.com/+ZachPrez/about) to users after each session. Business pages will have a “Write a Review” button.
Add your MyBusiness name, phone number and address to your website on the contact page, homepage or sitewide footer.
Embed or link to your Local Map on your website’s Contact Us page by searching your business in Google Maps then [UPDATED 12/2/15] click the share icon from the left hand panel and select Share or embed map. See google.com/maps/place/Ashley+Yvonne+Photography/.
Get as much PR from other websites as possible. Each mention or link to your website from other sources reinforces your popularity and helps increase local rank.
Find answers to almost all questions about Google MyBusiness, such as how to respond to reviews, delete a listing, add managers, and more at support.google.com/business/.
Create listings on Bing at bingplaces.com/ and Yahoo (free version) at smallbusiness.yahoo.com/local-listings/compare-plans.